I will be running a Forward Specific Skills Week again this summer. The
days will consist of an hour on ice instruction each day, and an hour
classroom session in order to teach the strategies that we will be
working on while practicing skills on the ice.
The format will consist of a series of skill stations that allow for
maximum repetitions to acquire the correct mechanics, and promote
practice to game transfer.
I have been fortunate enough to study these specific skills aspects and work with minor, junior and professional hockey players.
I have been the skills coach for many players that have gone on to play in the NHL, OHL, NCAA and local Junior teams. I have also helped many minor hockey players sharpen their skills and improve their in game habits.
Some Key Concepts that will be focused on are:
- Power Skating - lengthening stride, edge work, explosive turns
- Passing Skills - learning how to give and take a pass
- Shooting - Taking a pass in such a way that the player is a scoring or play making threat
- Accepting Rims off a cycle and a potential breakout situation
- Scoring techniques (shot release, rebound/recovery, tipping)
- Small Area Games/Skills - to improve decision training and speed, teach puck protection
- Crossover acceleration, and linear crossovers to separate from a defender
- Manipulating the defender and seeing/feeling where the open ice
- Understanding where to shoot and shot quality - Understanding that not every shot is designed to score, but create offensive opportunities
Here is the vital information:
Dates: July 16-20, 2018
Time: On ice from 11:00 am-12:00 pm for Novice, Atom, Peewee, Classroom session will take place from 10-10:40 am
For Bantam, Midget, Junior players - on ice from 12-1 pm, Classroom session from 1:30-2:30 pm
Where: RBC Rink #1
Cost: $250 or the week long session
There will be a limit of 18 skaters in this session.
If you are interested in attending the Forward Camp, please let me know by emailing me, or calling my cell 519-330-0877.
Lambton AAA Note:
The week long program will be delivered by local coach Derek Di Muzio.
Derek's coaching resume includes being both a Head and Assistant Coach at the Junior level for over 13 years. Derek has won numerous coaching awards, and has a proven track record for developing local talent and helping them move to higher levels of hockey (e.g. OHL, NCAA, AHL, NHL). He has been an Assistant Coach with the Ontario Hockey League’s Sarnia Sting in the past and his focus area was on skill development.
He has helped many Defenseman currently playing in the NHL develop their skills (e.g. Jakob Chychrun, Anthony DeAngelo, T.J. Brodie, Dalton Prout, and more).